Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Potato Pancakes with Fried Cheese

Most of the time I am making classical (traditional in Poland) potato pancakes, that my family loves. This time I wanted to make them different way. In the fridge I had a big chunk of Emmental, and thought, I may use it with the pancakes. However, I did not want to shred the cheese and mix with potatoes, because I was afraid that the taste will not be perceptible and I wanted it to be. I decided to fry cheese between two pancakes like a closed sandwich.
Pancakes came out delicious and nutritious.
You can satisfy your hunger with smaller amount of them than with the classical ones.

Ingredients for approx. 45 -50 pancakes: 

1 kg potatoes, used organic 
300 g of cheese sliced into small pieces (~ 1.5 cm x 3 cm) 
5 tbsp spelt flour 
3 eggs, large, organic 
1 onion, small 
1 tsp sea salt 
Color pepper to taste 
Oil for frying (organic, canola)

Directions:

Peel the potatoes and
shred on a fine grater. Add finely chopped onion, eggs, flour and spices, mix well. On the hot pan pour a little bit of oil and put a spoon (thin layer) of potato dough. After about a minute, when edges of the pancakes will become golden - brown place on them a slice of cheese. Cover with another thin layer of the dough and fry until golden brown. 

Recipe was created in my head and comes from my heart